The principles of ecological production have been regulated by law since the 1990s. The most important distinguishing features of this method of cultivation are:
- rejection of genetically modified organisms (GMO),
- return to natural fertilizers,
- elimination of chemical protection of plants against pests and their replacement with biological methods of their reduction,
- mechanical weeding, i.e. manual and machine.
It is also worth adding that in order to market organically grown products, the farm must register for the national control system. Thus, it undertakes to:
- compliance with organic EU standards,
- subjecting the project to an inspection carried out by an authorized certification body,
- documenting the measures used and production activities.
If all of the required criteria for organic farming are met, the producer receives a certificate of compliance with the requirements. This applies to both farmers and processors of organic agricultural products, wholesalers distributing eco-products or importers of organic agri-food products.